Thursday, August 6, 2009

'Change of plans' is my middle name.

I guess we will be homeschooling after all. Today was the first day that someone was actually in the office at the school that I had recently wanted to enroll Nic in, and after talking to an actual person, I found out that he can't go there. The only school that he can go to is our home school (not homeschool, home school. Confusing, I know) which is rated a 3 out of 10, is 96% mexican (with the majority of those kids primarily speaking spanish) and has 30 kids to 1 teacher. Uh, no thanks. And surprise surprise, I don't have an extra $12,000 a year laying around for private school.
Apparently, even if you live in the same district as a school, you have to go to the school closest to your home. What is the point of setting up districts if they don't matter. I don't know if it's the same everywhere. Can you tell that I never envisioned sending the kids off to public school? I never seriously looked into it, because I had always planned on homeschooling. I got cold feet, but now I have been motivated (and really given no other plausible option) to homeschool again. I will make it work. I will drink lots of coffee, I will let the laundry pile up and use what little energy I have to teach patterns and phonics, and in 2 months, I will do it all with a little one attached to my boob.

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

No comments: