Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Getting into the swing of things

I signed Nic up for CHEP, which is homeschool with the guidence of a credentialed teacher. The summer session offically starts July 1st, but that seems so far away, and the kids are excited to do 'school' work. So, we've started our own lessons, and we'll do the state required stuff once July finally rolls around. Devin has taken on the task of teaching Nic to read. He already knows the alphabet, and all of the sounds of the letters, but he is now spending about an hour - hour 1/2 each morning doing little lessons, and actually reading with his daddy. It is great.
Then when they are done with that, I take the kids outside for an art project. (I totally got the fun job)
I've decided that we are going to focus on one letter of the alphabet each day, and turn that into what we make that day. So far it's going great, and the kids are doing awesome!

Yesterday, was A. Which everybody knows is for alligator.




And today was B. Which is for banana.


We also made frozen chocolate bananas, but they were eaten before I grabbed the camera. It was messy, and tons of fun.

3 comments:

The Wildes said...

That is too cute!

Riding said...

This is so AWESOME, and Inspiring!
It does make it so much easier if you have a routine time to do it. I fell out of that routine and need to get back on track.

How do you find your projects? Google? Or does the school supplement you with the ideas? If you can, share some links and I will do the same if I find anything cool.

I love the Bananas! There is a book called something like, Nevermind P and Q, Here is the Punk Alphabet! J is for Joe Strummer! Which is fun, but it is probably best to not go the hipster route!

megan said...

This is the website I found that gave me the idea for this. She doesn't have all of the letters, but the idea is what I needed. I can fill in the blanks.

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

Once school starts, our teacher will fill out an individual lesson plan, and give us workbooks, and whatever else we need. I seriously hit the jackpot with this school.