Friday, September 11, 2009

35.5 weeks

I had another dr. appointment today. My weight hasn't changed at all since last time. I was also surprised (and at the time, elated) to hear that the GBS test was NEGATIVE! No antibiotics during labor for once!! But, the more I thought about it, the more I don't trust my doctor. She did the test at 33 weeks, when she should have done it between 35 and 37 weeks. That doesn't seem like a big difference, but after doing some research, I've learned that false negatives are common before 35 weeks. But at the same time, I found that even without antibiotics, the chances of the baby getting it are 1 in 200, and the chances of it being a serious infection are 2% of those babies.
So that, combined with the fact that they still took Nic from me for a week "just in case" he got it, when we now know that he never had it, I am not going to ask for a re-test. I know the symptoms of the infection, so if I notice anything, then I'll say something. But I am excited that no one is going to try to kidnap my baby to the NICU "just in case" this time, just to cover the hospital's ass. They also tried this with Norah, because she didn't want to nurse right away, and I actually dumped 1/2 a bottle of formula down the drain when the nurse left the room so they'd leave us alone. And guess what? SHE'S FINE.
This also means that I won't have to be so anxious to get to the hospital once labor actually starts. I can actually labor at home! Which is definitely where I want to be, because once I get to the hospital, they will strap me to a bed and not allow walking. Hopefully, if everything goes my way, I'll walk in, push the baby out, and come home. ha

On the way home from the doctor, I stopped at the hospital to turn in the pre-registration form. Pretty uneventful, but now I feel like I am ready for this baby. 3 days until I'm officially full term, and about a month until my due date. I have been having contractions 7-10 minutes apart for the past 2 nights, but after about an hour and a 1/2, they just stop. Frustrating, but hopefully it means that Nolan will be here sooner than Oct 12!

No comments: